Sunday, January 5, 2014

Neighbors

Love Neighbors Lord

What does it mean to "love your neighbor as yourself"?

Do you know that "neighbor" comes up in at least 141 scriptures?  Of course in many different forms.

Some would say how I live my life.  I see a young lady who is a drug addict sitting outside of Value Village looking for money I stop and ask how she is and wait for her story and buy her lunch.  It honestly doesn't take much to love all our neighbors it is a matter of whether we do it.  Put our selfishness and self pity aside. 

When I see someone who needs help I do not step over the chicken line because I pity them it is because of love and knowing I am not perfect either.  While I may not be a drug addict I have my own sins and people and Jesus love me no matter what.  The people I meet deserve that just the same. 

I love this Good Samartan Parable in Luke.
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[e] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Some have been angry or upset with me because while I help one friend they wonder why I have not helped them.  While I try to love all neighbors and friends I also wait for a heart nudge from the Holy Spirit.  I ask, "Lord should I organize meals for that family?  Should we invite them for supper?  Should I go to the hospital?"  He has the final answer. 

I also know how powerful prayer is and we must remember it always isn't about doing doing doing.  For people (neighbors) to know that I have prayed for them is power in itself.

Loving is not always an easy task but it will never get easier if we do not even attempt to start.  I honestly just think people deserve to be loved just like I have been loved in my very difficult times.

Maybe with all this snow it is your chance to show a neighbor love.

No comments:

Post a Comment